Scary situation... My house almost caught on fire.
God's intervention...Hubby came home to find it.
We have an air conditioner plugged in to the hallway that connects our living room and kitchen. I woke up Saturday afternoon (not because I'm lazy, because I work the night shift) and my boys asked what that weird smell was. I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed and told them it was our new air freshener. Dummy me couldn't tell the difference between an air freshener and wires burning.
We left a little later and headed up to our campsite. While there, I had another dunce moment and realized I hadn't brought any food for supper. It didn't bother me much because I figured we could just eat microwaved food from the campground office that night. I text my husband to tell him and he offered to just run into town, twenty minutes away, to grab some food. I tried coaxing him out of it because the price of food from the office was going to be the same as gas money to go get our food. He decided to go anyway...and good thing he did.
The electrical cord from our AC had melted and the outlet was extremely hot. Added to it was black marks from the smolderings all over the outlet, on my carpet, and up my wall. Luckily, Jason caught it in time before it caught the whole house on fire. If he hadn't of been persistent in going home to get our food, we wouldn't have had a place to come home to the next day.