SKULL FUN FACTS
The iconic Skull representing “The Pirates of the Caribbean” franchise has undergone yet another transformation for the latest film, “Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides.”
• The mysterious “X” scar on the left side of the face
• New beads
• A pearl in the gold front tooth
• Blond streaks in the hair
• Skeletons hanging from the last trinket on the beaded dreadlock
• A hidden “Mickey” on the left dreadlock
• Swimming mermaids engraved on the hand guard of the right sword
• The Skull features the signature red bandana Captain Jack Sparrow wore in all the films of the “Pirates of the Caribbean” film franchise. Red was a popular color with pirates, who preferred more colorful dress. It was also a color synonymous with “giving no quarter” to enemies as exemplified by flying a red Jolly Roger flag when engaging a foe at sea.
• The crossed swords, or pirates’ cutlasses, have a special meaning: When the crossed swords face upward, they signify readiness for battle. When the swords point downward, they signify the end of conflict. Down-pointing crossed swords are a common military symbol on graves or memorials signifying death in battle. On the teaser poster the swords are pointing downward.