How you will be celebrating your Fourth of July weekend? For the first time in five years, I don't have to work during the 4th of July. Yay!! My family and I will be staying at our camper over the weekend at the local campground. We plan on swimming, feasting, watching fireworks, and dancing to live music.
Whatever you do, please stay safe and take the time to remember what the 4th of July is all about. Here are a few general tips on how to have a safe 4th of July:
- If you plan on swimming, do not enter the water alone unless a lifeguard is on duty. Most deaths from drowning occur within a few feet of safety.
- West Nile is a threat to some, including those where I live. Wear shoes and socks, long pants, and a long sleeved shirt if you're going to be outdoors where mosquitos are.
- Know what's legal and what's not. It is illegal to have most types of fireworks in Illinois. No need to get yourself in trouble.
- Don't expect your pets to enjoy the celebration. July 5th is the year's busiest day for animal shelters because most outside pets tend to get the heck out of dodge when the big boom starts going off. It's best to let your outside pets go inside, even to a garage, during the fireworks. It will lessen the scare.
- Fourth of July = celebration = alcohol. If you plan on drinking, please have a plan on where you will be staying. Please don't drink and drive. Not only is it dangerous and potentially deadly, it can be expensive. I doubt anyone wants to pay the highly expensive DUI fees. It's just not worth it.
- If you make a mess, clean it up. It's not that hard to pick up your trash and put it in a nearby trash can or take it with you and throw it away at a later time. Litter all over the ground at any time, but especially after a large crowd, makes a place look downright trashy.
- Fireworks are F -U -N but remember that they are hazardous as well. Use all safety precautions and procedures when lighting fireworks. Don't stand close to them.
Here's hoping that you and yours have an absolutely wonderful 4th of July weekend!!